Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sweet Corns

For nourishment, we try to have soup every day. One of our favorites is ABC soup, which is so called because it is as easy to cook as learning ABC! Essentially, it is a mixed soup comprising onions, carrot, potato and pork (or chicken meat). To make the soup even more tasty, we like to add sweet corn, which is now in season. The corn cobs are very sweet and yummy even after boiling in the soup for hours. Late summer to early fall, which is now, is supposed to be the best time of the year to eat corns. For US$1, you can buy 5 corns. For a complete guide on corns, see http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=114&id=844.

During one of the outings, we chanced upon a gigantic maze in a corn field. The adventorous one in me said that I had to "conquer" IT! My wife, however, not wanting to get lost in the maze, decided to wait for me at the exit. It took me a while to wander alone around in the maze before I managed to find the way out. All thanks to some clues left by the farmer. After that, I christianed IT the "Amazing Maize Maze" - a tongue twister!

Reflection: At the begining, it was fun getting lost and not really knowing your direction in the maze! But after a while, you begin to get desperate and start wondering how long more before you will find the RIGHT WAY! More so, when you know your "loved one" is waiting for you at the other side. Thankfully, the farmer (creator of the maze) left some clues so that we can find the WAY OUT! Whilst lost in the maze, I also observed some previous people gave up on the game. So, they try to create their own path by stepping on the corns. This created even more paths for those who were behind them, making the maze even more confusing.

Doesn't this reflect life? Many a times, I have felt lost and needed direction. For me, my reference point whenever I needed guidance is Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He shall guide your path".

2 comments:

Princess Phoenix said...

Hi Mr & Mrs Ooi,
the two of you look so happy and blissful in the pictures that I could almost feel your joy! It's such a wonderful opportunity to spend time together in a foreign land and I believe that your relationship with God will grow stronger as you grow in love with each other! Do keep the postings coming, I'd love to read about your life there. By the way I've just left my previous company, going back into real estate now. Will keep you updated on my progress :) God Bless!Siang Ling

gabinlondon said...

Dearest Prof Ooi and Mrs Ooi

So happy to see both of you enjoying life and being simply, HAPPY! Your strong faith in God has touched many of us, including me, during our years in RE. You are truly God's ministry in the marketplace =) I pray that you will continue to grow and reap good harvest when the time comes.

Love and blessings
Michelle, hubby and baby Gabriel