Monday, November 19, 2007

The First Snow

The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event.
...
Winter came early... We woke up this morning with a beautiful sight of brilliant white snowflakes plummeting down from heaven. Snow everywhere, covering everything in sight. I love snow: No matter how filthy the world appeared yesterday, it now looked white and pure. The filth of yesterday has somehow been magically covered by the white manna. This reminds me of a saying, "kindness is like snow - it beautifies everything it covers".
.
Psalms 51: 7-12, similarly, compares God's forgiveness and grace. Regardless of what mistakes I have made in the past, He can and will give me a clean slate, a fresh start.
.
"Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow... Remove the stain of my guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me... Restore to me the joy of your salvation.

.
.
.
Upon returning home from the church, we went out to the backyard to take some photos. By now, the snow was around 1 inch thick. Instead of raking leaves, which I had originally intended to do today, I found myself having to shovel snow instead.
Note: As part of the community responsibility, each household is required to clear any snow on the pavement in front of their house.
.
Side view of the house with the car porch.










In the backyard with house behind us.

.

.

.

.

Application: Snowflakes remind me today of two important things. Firstly, to give thanks to God for His gift of salvation. Secondly, to sprinkle snow on others through little acts of kindness. Even in places which do not have snow, such as tropical Singapore, we can still show a little kindness. Stop and lend a helping hand. Those who are old enough will recall a Glen Campbell's song "Try a Little Kindness". There is a good rendition of it by the Wilburn Brothers on UTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Wz-Wb5nPc . The lyrics go like this, ...

If you see your brother standin' by the road
With a heavy load from the seeds he sowed
And if you see your sister fallin' by the way
Just stop and say you're goin' the wrong way

You've got to try a little kindness
yes show a little kindness
Shine your light for everyone to see
And if you'll try a little kindness then you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Don't walk around the down and out
lend a helping hand instead of doubt
And the kindness that you show every day will help someone along their way
You've got to try a little kindness...You've got to try a little kindness...

....

For Christians, here is a good snowflake reminder, "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:32)

.