Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An Endless Song

This happened to me a while back. One fine morning, as I was walking briskly to school, I suddenly heard a noise from behind. Apparently, a stranger was calling me. I stopped, looked back, and saw an elderly man. I waited for him, and guess what were the first words he said to me?

"Hi, I noticed you were whistling.
You know what, I have not heard that for a long time!"

My short reply to him was, "Isn't it a beautiful morning? I know of no better way to start the day by singing and whistling." The elderly man, who appeared to be a professor in PennState, replied, "people just don't whistle anymore". I wasn't sure if that was true. I haven't seen it myself but I am sure there will be a lot of cheering and whistling going on in the stadium during a football match or downtown, during the weekends, where you'll probably find guys whistling at "pretty women walking down the street".

Anyway, from that brief encounter with the elderly man, I realized that I, indeed, do sing and whistle a lot - mostly to myself, and particularly when I am walking, exercising, swimming or driving. I guess it has become a habit, something engrained in me, which I do automatically without even realizing it. Even at home when we are relaxing, my wife and I like to listen to CDs. Music is pretty much a big part of our daily life.
....
It has also never occurred to me why I sing, but I suppose if you examine the lyrics of most songs that have ever been written and sung, they are inspired primarily by two emotions, either "happy" or 'sad". Interestingly, both emotions are related to a greater theme and one of the most important aspects of life, which is "LOVE".
...
Creame brulee I torched for my BMW
Acknowledgement: Once again, I would like thank my blog consultant for showing me how to embed music into this blog. From that, I also learnt to embed videos. ..
..
Now, I will be able to share some of our favorite songs. For a start, allow me to share the lyrics of a song which I heard recently. I like it because it helps to articulate the reason for my singing. When I first heard it for the first time in church a few months ago, I quickly took out my note book and scribbled down the lyrics. It was a long song but I managed to note down the important parts ... There is an endless song, echoing in my soul, I hear the music ring... How can I keep from singing? ... I know that I am loved... and it makes my heart want to sing... I can sing in troubled times. Sing when I win.
...
I have managed to find a video clip of it on youtube. See below. Click to play. (However, you may wish to turn off the blog's background music first (located at the right-hand side of this blog). Overall, a boisterous performance, which seems more like a pop concert plus a karaoke sing-a-long!




THERE IS AN ENDLESS SONG
Echoing in my soul
I hear the music ring
And though the storms may come
Still i am holding on
To this rock i (will) cling

How can I keep from singing your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is your love
How can I keep from shouting your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing
..
I will lift my eyes
In the darkest night
I know my Saviour lives
And I will walk with you
Knowing you see me through
And sing the songs you give

Bridge: I can sing in the troubled times
Sing when I win
I can sing when I lose my step
And fall down again
I can sing cause you pick me up
Sing cause you're there
I can sing cause you hear me lord
When I call to you in prayer
I will sing til my last breath
Sing for I know
That I'll sing with the angels
And the saints around the throne


Matt Redman/Chris Tomlin/Ed Cash
Copyright © 2006 Thankyou Music/sixsteps Music/worshiptogether.com songs/kingswaysongs.com & Alletrop Music/CopyCare
Inspired by the Robert Lowry hymn 'How can I keep from singing' c. 1860