Sunday, March 2, 2008

Water Lilies

In some cultures, water lilies (& lotus flowers) are considered a symbol of perfection, beauty, and purity because the blossoms float on the surface, untouched by the muddy water.
photo from internet
Facts: The lily has a spongy leafstalk with four main channels to carry oxygen from the surface down to the large stems (rhizomes) buried in the muck.
Habitat: quiet water, throughout the East.
Source: Familiar Flowers of North America, The Audubon Society Pocket Guides
...
Why suddenly think of lilies? Well, it was snowing heavily this morning. And here I was, sitting beside the window and thinking how privilege we are to experience one of nature’s great wonders for a season. As I watched the white snow cover everything in sight, including all the filth and dirt, a word came into my mind - PURITY. = clean, spotless, not stained, unadulterated, not corrupted.
photo: side view of house
“How can a young man keep his way pure?”, a psalmist once asked. The short reply given, “by living according to God’s word” (Psalms 119:9). For me, it's tough, even with God's words! Some, like the Amish, separate themselves from the society and try living within their own communities.
...
Not easy because purity is more than just doing the right thing. It is doing the right thing with the right motive! In fact, it is more about 'being" rather than"'doing". It starts with the heart, not just the actions. It's tough to stay pure, really! Especially, when the surrounding is polluted and muddied. Nevertheless, that should not stop us from trying - to be a "pure", or should I say, a "rare" breed in our society today.
..
Thus, water lilies & lotus flowers truly deserved our admiration! This morning, as I enjoy the white snow and appreciate the white lilies, I applaud the white party governing a small, but blossoming, island state in South East Asia, which some called a "little red dot".
...
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God"
- Matthews 5: 8
A Prayer: from Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting