Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Fleeting Life

Some spring flowers literally bloom and fall within a week. In this posting, I invite you to feast your eyes upon one of the earliest spring beauties: Snow Crocuses.




Snow crocuses get their name, as they are the earliest of spring flowers. The flowers will begin to grow with a warm spell in late winter or early spring. They often burst into bloom, while snow is still on the ground. These small plants grow just 3-4 inches tall.

A relaxed attitude lengthens a man's life; jealousy rots it away - Proverbs 14:30
...


It only takes a few days growth to blossom into the first bright colors of the year - brightening up the landscape with their white, yellow, blue, and light orange flowers above thin grass-like leaves.


Did you know? There are many species of crocus. Whilst most are early spring bloomers, some varieties of Crocus will bloom in the fall. The word "Crocus" is Latin for Saffron. Knowing this, it should not surprise you that Saffron comes from the stigma of the Saffron Crocus. The stigmas of this autumn crocus (three on each bloom), when harvested and dried, make the most expensive of spices. But, it takes thousands of flowers to get an ounce of Saffron.


Life is brief Terribly brief! In his book, Swindoll wrote... "Several years ago one of my children and I walked through a cemetery. We paused and read the stones. We knew none of the deceased. It was a nostalgic, gripping encounter. Hand in hand we walked and talked. Softly. Thoughtfully. It was a though we were on sacred soil. Time stopped at each marker. Quietness swept over us as we drove away. I shall not soon forget what I learned. First, life is brief. Second, opportunity is now. Third, death is sure... The only thing that will live on will be your personal contributions, your unique investments during your lifetime.


Psalm 39:4-7
"Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath.

Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it.

"But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you."



Source: wikipedia & http://www.gardenersnet.com/bulbs/crocus.htm