Wednesday, July 23, 2008

RE2008 Commencement

I recently attended my students' commencement ceremony at NUS. It is truly a time of celebration for the graduants. After more than 20 years of formal education, it is finally over!

My best wishes to RE Class 2008!
.........................................................................

........................................................................

During the commencement ceremony, the honorary speaker shared an insight into the working habit of one of the most successful property developers in Singapore. He mentioned that NTF's secret of success is 5 to 9: Unlike the average workers who worked from 9 am to 5 pm, the developer's daily work routine starts from 5 am and ends at 9 pm!

Recently, I came across this time-tested formula of success, which the fresh graduates would do well to remember & practice as they start a new phase of their life:

A person will go far in life if he/she consistently does three things: (1) keeps a positive attitude, (2) treats other people with respect and kindness, and (3) works to the best of his/her ability. The percentage of people who maintain these high standards on a regular basis is small. But those who do all have something in common; they succeed in life. It's a great formula for success.

photo: To celebrate his graduation, Jingliang & Jade treated my wife and me to a nice dinner at the Crystal Jade restaurant in VivoCity.

.

I also received several e-mails from the graduating cohort; one of which would brigthen up any teacher's day:

I am not too sure if you remember me. I just graduated from RE and was your student in RE Development 1 in 2006. I emailed you my reflections after the group project. Just wanna say that module made a real impact on the way I view life and deal with people around me. I have started work at ... and have made many new acquaintances. The exposure to working life that you gave us during RE Dev 1 is of great help as I was better able to foresee the style of work here and anticipate different kinds of treatment by people. Although the module was not entirely related to my current job scope, the experience I gained in school gives me greater resilience. I am glad I was your student, for your module gave me knowledge and strength. My greatest, most heartfelt thanks to you for your sharings and exposure to working life. Here's wishing you continued success and blessing by God for being the selfless person you are. Thank you once again.

No comments: