Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Soft Boiled Egg

BUSY, BUSY, BUSY! Life has been pretty hectic the past few months since the new academic year started. But I can't complain as I am happy because the things which I am busy with (i.e. teaching, advising students and doing research) are things which I like to do anyway. Happy is the man who gets paid doing what he likes!

photo: morning has broken (s'pore)
So, what do busy Singaporeans eat for breakfast? In the US, the normal breakfast meal would include a bowl of cereal with milk or what we would call "corn flakes" here. Here, I suppose the norm would be for busy Singaporeans to buy/pack their breakfast.
.
A trend I observed in recent years is the resurrection of old coffee-shops, albeit in a more modern "macdonald" like setting. The menu is simple, and consisted of: toast with butter and "kaya" (egg jam/custard made of egg, sugar, and coconut milk) and soft-boiled eggs. The coffee is strong and drunk with sugar and condensed milk. In the past, it was a common sight to see a customer drink his coffee from the saucer into which he had poured it to cool it down.
.
Due to my busy schedule, let me share in this blog a quick way to prepare breakfast: soft-boiled eggs. It is an art to get the egg cooked just right! Here goes:
(1) place to eggs, ideally at room temperature, in a container,
(2) pour boiling water into the container - make sure it covers the top of the egg,
(3) cover the container and leave for 7 minutes (slightly longer if the eggs are chilled),
(4) serve with black soya sauce and white pepper.

Got to run! Have a busy day ahead, but the two eggs will sustain me, at least till lunch! But my wife and I are looking forward to having a good dinner with four of my former students this evening. Cheers! this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

There you have it, a typical Singaporean breakfast in 7 mins!

No comments: