Monday, April 12, 2010

On the Road: Miami & Naples, Florida

From Palm Sunday (my last blog entry) to palms on the beach!

It is the time of the year again for my annual migration to the US to attend the American Real Estate Society (ARES) Meeting. This year, it will be held in Naples, Florida. Prior to that, I am visiting Florida International University (FIU) which is based in Miami. This will be my first visit to Miami, but my second trip to Naples, which I first visited in 2001.

In Miami, I will be staying at Sofitel Miami, which is close to the airport and FIU. It overlooks a blue lagoon (see photo on the right). The ARES meeting in Naples will be held at charming The Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club. It is Southwest Florida's only resort with its own 18-hole golf course.
.
Facing the Gulf of Mexico, there is nothing much to do in Naples besides lingering on the gorgeous white sand beach (see photo below) and play golf (which I don't). Rather than being fronted by tall condominium buildings, the backdrop for the beach here is all the mansions along Millionaires' Row. Everything in Naples is laid back. But the guide book warned that this is not a place where little ones will have fun. Leave them at home. Also, it's not a swinging singles scene whatsoever. More of a romantic spot for couples.
It will be a busy meeting for me this year. I present a seminar at FIU, followed by three research papers at the ARES meeting. On top of that, I have to read a paper for a colleague and chair a session. These together with catching up with friends in the real estate academia circle as well as working on research with collaborators, will leave me little time to enjoy the beach.

No comments: