Saturday, October 27, 2007

Scary Scary Halloween!

Today, I would like to focus on a topic which will make most of us uneasy. Can I ask you two questions:
  • What do you fear most?
  • Do you believe in Ghosts?
Oct 31 is Halloween night, the western version of the 7th lunar month. It is traditionally associated with ghosts, but like Christmas, it has been commercialized. Nowadays, children dress up and go from house to house collecting candies. To each homeowner who answers the doorbell, the children will say, "trick or treat". But instead of dressing up as scary/ghostly figures, most will fancy dress. I know of two children who will be dressing up as "Tinkerbell" and an astranout. Another parent just told me that his son will be dressing up as a "cheerleader" this year.

What does Halloween really stand for? Ghosts! Heard on this morning news that in a survey, 1/3 of Americans believe that ghosts exist. When the newcaster was asked the same question, I thought her reply was rather interesting, "It is one thing you don't want to say you don't, just in case you provoke "them" to prove their existence to you!". As for me,
.
I don't believe in ghosts but I am afraid of them.

I have shared this story before. The first time I read the quotation (Mark Twain), I thought it is irrational to fear something you don't believe in. But I have been proven wrong.

Back home (Singapore), I like to swim at night because I will be the only one in the pool. I aso like to swim at the deep end because I enjoy the refreshing sensation of the icy cold water. However, as I was walking to the pool that particular day, I saw people burning joss paper. I realized that it was the beginning of the 7th lunar month, more commonly known as the Hungry Ghost Festival with the Chinese. Suddenly, I didn't feel like swimming in the dark, by myself in the deep end of the pool. My mind flashed back to a drowning incident. To play "safe", I decided to swim in the children's pool instead. It was only after my swim that it dawned on me that what Mark Twain said was true, "I do not believe in ghosts but I am afraid of them".
.
Somehow, we have been conditioned from young to be afraid of the dark, death and ghosts. Our mind (or rather our imagination) can play tricks on us! At times, even a scarecrow can scare us.

US President Theodore Roosevelt once said, "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." Do you know what is the greatest fear amongst adults? I read that it is not ghosts, not the unknowns, but the number one fear that grips most adults is, the "fear of failure", followed closely by the "fear of being useless". For the Asians, there is the "fear of losing face". And we Singaporeans are known to be "kiasu" (fear of losing out) and "kiasi" (fear of death/punishment). Fear of what might happen to us can cause panic, lost of sleep, and missed opportunities. Fear can paralyse us.

How I cope with fear, anxieties & worries?

When new situations or surroundings frighten me, I remind myself that experiencing fear is normal. I have found that the best antidote to worry is not positive thinking but prayer; "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7.
.
p/s - my wife wants to have the last say, "If there is anything to fear, fear HIM. For the 'Fear of the LORD is the begining of knowledge' (Prov 1:7)."