Saturday, January 16, 2010

What All Good Leaders Do?

"Those of us who are strong and able in faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, "How can I help?". - Romans 15:1-2 (The Message)
........
This evening, I was browsing through the journal I kept for my sabbatical. In it, were a number of loose papers and sticky notes in which I scribbled some nuggets of truths, words of wisdoms, or inspiring thoughts that I came across. I believe most of them came from books or articles I read or sermons I heard during that year. Regretfully, I didn't do a good job recording their sources; thus, I may not be able to cite or acknowledge where I got them from. The scrap notes are currently all over the place. Over the next few weeks, I will be revisiting these gold nuggets, reflect and share them on this blog. Trust they will be a good reminder for you and me.

The first one is entitled "What All Good Leaders Do?". One, they get the job done. Two, they get people to produce. Three, they teach people how to do things right, and four, they delegate authority. Whilst all these are true, there's a simple answer that covers all that ground. It is:
"to bring out the best in the people you are leading."
.
A good scripture to accompany this thought is Romans 15:1-2 (above). In summary, strength is for service, not status. Leaders need to look after the good of the people around them, asking "How can I help them to be succesful?" We can have enormous influence on the people with whom we come into contact. That influence could be for good or for bad. Similarly, as a professor and an educator, my legacy will not be my research papers nor the awards, but the success of my students.
Field trip to Sentosa Cove (2006)

You have heard of MSG, which is often used in chinese cooking as a flavor enhancer. Well, have you heard of life enhancers? They are people who improve, strengthen, and beautify the world around them. In their interactions with other people, they bring out the best of people. They see something good in us, and then they help us see it too. More important, they help us tap into it... .

.
The bible has a lot to say about bringing out the best in people... "Let your words be for the improvements of others, as occasion offers" - Ephesians 4:29; "Therefore encourage one another and build up each other" - 1 Thessalonians 5:11; "The mouth of the upright is a life-giving fountain - Proverbs 10:11; "Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing" - Ephesians 4:29.

In closing, good leaders bring out the best in other people. It's better to build up than to tear down.

No comments: