Thursday, June 10, 2010

On the Road: England & Holland

We will be traveling from June 11-21. Our itinerary:
Jun 12-13: London, England
Jun 13-16: Reading, England

Jun 16-17: London, England
Jun 17-20: Rotterdam, Holland

.
Our time in London will be free and easy. We do have two appointments to meet up with friends. Otherwise, it is pretty much taking it easy. We will probably not do much of the touristy stuff as we have been to London a few times. But time flies, the last time we were here was in 2000. Exactly, ten years ago!
.
Our second stop is Reading (above photo), which is about 30 mins train ride from London. It is around halfway to Oxford. It is essentially a university town and my main purpose is to visit University of Reading, where I will be giving a research seminar as well as a workshop for PhD students. Then it is back to London again for another night.
.
Our third and last stop is Rotterdam (right photo) in Netherlands. Here, I will be joining up with a group of academics for an international real estate conference. Rotterdam is about 30 minutes from Amsterdam airport by fast train. It is essentially a port city.
.
With our trip coinciding with the World Cup, it will be interesting on match day. English and Dutch are fervent supporters of their national team and it may just be worth the while to join the crowd to watch a live match in the local pub! That's provided they are not playing an Asian team. I recall in one of the previous World Cups, the boyfriend of a student who was travelling in Europe was physically assaulted by a group of football hooligans when the local team lost to South Korea. Apparently, they can't differentiate Chinese from Koreans.
.
Which team am I supporting? Traditionally, I go for Brazil. But this round, I am placing my bet (literally) on Spain. If it wins, the retailer from whom I purchased my new digital SLR camera will give a 50% refund. That's $900!

No comments: