Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cherish The Seasons

Yesterday, a friend from church shared a profound statement, "Every moment is beautiful. Treasure it." This afternoon, I took time to reflect and do some study on what it means to cherish the moments.
"We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends, and living our lives.” - Maya Angelou
photo: harvesting apple (State College, 2008)

Below is a tragic poem (by Jason Lehman) on a man who never got what he wanted.

It was spring, but it was summer I wanted,
the warm days, and the great outdoors.
It was summer, but it was fall I wanted,
the colorful leaves, and the cool, dry air.
It was spring, but it was winter I wanted,
the beautiful snow, and the joy of the holiday season.
I was a child, but it was adulthood I wanted,
the freedom, and the respect.
I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted,
to be mature, and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged, but it was 30 I wanted,
the youth and the free spirit.
I was retired, but it was middle age I wanted,
the presence of mind, without limitations.
My life was over, but I never got what I wanted.

The author, John Mason, exposits that God is a God of seasons. Ecclesiates 3:1 proclaims, "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven". Distinctively different things happen during different seasons.
There is a wintertime in God. It is a season of preparation, revelation and direction. It is also the time when the roots grow. God wants to establish the right foundation in you during this season. But there is no harvest now.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
There is springtime in God. It is a time of planting, hoeing and nurturing. In other words, hard work. God wants you to work your plan. But there is no harvest in springtime.

There is a summertime in God. Summer is a time of great growth. Nowis the time when activity, interest and people begin to surround your God-given idea. For all the activity of summer, there is only a minimal harvest. But then comes autumn.

This is God's harvest time. It is during this season that the harvest is reaped in much greater proportion than the work, activity or idea expanded. But most people never make it to the fall. Often, they end up quitting along the way because they don't know what season they're in.

When you understand that God is a God of seasons, it prepares you to do the right thing at the right time. It inspires you to persevere to the fall. God's Word is true when it says, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" (Gal 6:9).

reflection: if you pluck the blossoms, you must do without the fruit.

source: John L. Mason, An Enemy Called Average

No comments: