Sunday, August 29, 2010

What Drives Professors?

Every morning, I will browse thru the newspaper quickly. I don't have much time to read in detailed all the articles. Today, one particular feature caught my attention... "Two top scientists on what drives them". The two scientists are:

  • Prof Emeritus Perry McCarty, a 78-yr old researcher from Stanford University, and
  • Prof Rudolph A. Marcus, a 87-yr don from California Institute of Technology.

Both have won numerous research awards in their field, including a Nobel prize for Prof Marcus. Both were in Singapore and had an interview with the Straits Times. Below are extracts from their interview which caught my attention:

Q: "What do you love about your job, doing both research and teaching?"

Prof McCarty : "Research has always been a passion with me. I like the thrill of discovery, ... However, I like teaching very much as well, as it provides the opportunity to pass on new concepts to those who will put them into practice. One of the greatest pleasure is to watch the many successes of former students. There are few greater rewards."

Q: "You are still doing research now at your age?" (87)

Prof Marcus: "Yes, very much so, 24/7. Most of the time, in fact. And even before I fall asleep I'm thinking of some problem, usually."


Q: "Do you view research as work?"

Prof Marcus: "Not as work, but it is work; but I don't view it that way. I view it is as: Here is something I'm trying to get an answer to, I try various ideas, I do a lot more reading... I view it as a challenge, now it turns out it is work."

"You have to go into things deeply, you can't be superficial. And sometimes, you have to go through the details to make sure you get the science right, and keep track of all sorts of things, so that is not very pleasant, but you have to do it, so you do it. Overidding all that is when something comes out, you get an answer that seems reasonable, it could be a tremendous satisfaction."


Q: "What gives you the most satisfaction?"

Prof Marcus: "One is getting successfully to a problem. Another, which is related to it, is getting new insights into a problem that I haven't had before, I finally see it in some way and understand it better."

"Being able to explain to students something which is fairly complicated and try to get the essence of it. And I still teach courses, so that's certainly something. Working with students and doing research, I get tremendous enjoyment out of that."

I couldn't agree more with what both professors had shared. Their sharing echoes the beatings of my heart. I am passionate about my research... I also enjoy teaching tremendously... I put in a lot of efforts for both, 24/7 but I don't see that as work....Nothing gives more satisfaction than being able to explain something complicated and seeing students' eyes opening to appreciate the real value of what they learnt... The true legacy of my time in NUS would be the success of my students (not my research papers & accolades).

If we emulate the two distinguished professors' spirit and passion towards research and teaching, we will never have to work another day. You will find that work, whatever our chosen field, despite the hard labor, can be fun, satisfying and rewarding.

No comments: