Tuesday, April 15, 2008

American Idol

Still on the topic of tv, American Idol is now into Season 7. I don't follow the American Idol show, neither does my wife. Nevertheless, we managed to watch part of it last week. I was working in the study room when she called out for me, "come and see what's on tv" (If you have been married long enough, you would have learnt that it is wise to drop what you are doing and respond immediately when the wife calls :). The 8 finalists were singing one of our favorite gospel songs, "Shout to the Lord!". I like the ending, "Nothing compares to the promise I have in You!"
...
To play, click on the video. However, you may want to switch off the background music first (use pause button at the Imeem music on the right-hand sidebar).
....
My Jesus, My Savior
Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
...
My Comfort, My Shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You

Shout to the Lord, all the earth
Let us sing. Power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
...
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in YOU!
....
Nothing compares to you
I shout your praise
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares to the promise I have in YOU!
..
This was the song that made Darlene Zschech (a pastor from the Hillsong church in Sydney, Australia) into an international celebrity (at least amongst the Christian community). We used to sing this song frequently in our church in Singapore but I don't remember having sung it in Calvary Baptist, State College.
...
We all idolize something or someone, be it God, or a pop/movie star, or maybe a soccer player, etc. The free online dictionary defines IDOL as: an image used as an object of worship; someone that is adored, often blindly or excessively. So, who is your idol?

No comments: