Sunday, April 27, 2008

Apple & Peach Blossoms

Believe it or not, we were in Orchard Road yesterday!
No, not the one in Singapore :).

Well, we drove to Way Fruit Farm, which is about 15-20 minutes away. This was the same farm we visited for the Apple Festival and pumpkin patch in the fall (c.f. 24 October 2007 posting). Wow, time really flies! I can't believe that 6 months have passed!



Our sole aim for visiting the farm was to see apple blossoms. But to our dissappointment, the apple trees at the main farm (where the store was located) were still pretty bare. The shopkeeper, however, was very kind and gave us directions to a remote mountain, where we found ourselves on "Orchard Road". Another parallel road was aptly named "Apple Blossoms Road".

It was a delightful discovery - on one side, there were rows and rows of peach trees in bloom. And on the other side of the road, there were more rows of apple trees. Most, like those at the main farm, were still bare. But there were a few rows of wild apple trees that were in full bloom. As far as we can see, we were the only two souls in the vast orchard. It was a wonderful experience. Truly, a rare opportunity for city folks like us to admire apple and peach blossoms, both at the same time.
...


















Apple blossoms bursting wide
now and beautify the tree
And make a springtime picture
that is beautiful to see ...
...
Oh, fragrant lovely blossoms,
you'll make a bright bouquet
If I but break your branches
from the apple tree today ... .......
. ......

Photos: Blossoms of a flowering tree in our garden.
.But if I break your branches
and make your beauty mine,
You'll bear no fruit in season
when severed from the vine.
.........
"... As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." - John 15: 4,5


Prayer: One True Vine, this branch is weakening. Nourish me so that I can bear fruit for Your harvest.


Source: H.S. Rice, Daily Stepping Stones

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your photography is lovely as usual, Dr. Ooi! ^^ its been some time since I actually written or spoken to you. I hope all is well for you and your wife in Happy Valley! I'll be taking some time to read through your blog!

Take care! :D

~Shufen