Monday, April 21, 2008

Glutinous Rice (Loh Mei Fun)

This is what we had for breakfast today. Glutinous rice with dried mushrooms, or more popularly known as "loh mei fun", is one of my favorite breakfast meals during my childhood days in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
..
I have not come across any stall that sells good "loh mei fun" in Singapore. But I am fortunate that my wife makes very good "loh mei fun". Everyone who have tasted it can vouched how delicious it tastes. So, here I am - typing this blog entry whilst eagerly awaiting for her to finish preparing the dish. "Yummy!"

You will be surprised how easy it is to prepare this dish using the microwave oven. Here is my wife's recipe:

Ingredients: 300 g glutinous rice (soaked for 30 minutes), 12 dried Chinese mushrooms (soaked in 450ml water and shredded), 60g dried prawns, 1 stalk spring onion or parsley (chopped finely), 1 Chinese sausage (optional, or substitute with ham), 3 shallots (sliced), 1 ½ tbsps oil.
Seasoning: 1 tsp light soya sauce, ½ tbsp dark soya sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, ¼ tsp salt.

Method:
1) Fry shallots until crispy. Reserve the golden brown shallots for garnishing.
2) Use oil to fry dried shrimps, Chinese sausage and mushroom. When fragrant, add glutinous rice, fry and mix well together with the sauces.
3) Place in a microwaveable container, top up with water from the soaked mushroom (just enough to cover the rice).
4) Cook on high power for 15 minutes, covered (stir every 5 minutes).
5) Garnish with spring onions and golden brown shallots. My wife and I also like to sprinkle some freshly fried crunchy peanuts.
6) Serve with sambal chili.

No comments: