Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Special Place

Today is Singapore's 43rd national day! The Straits Times, the local newspaper in Singapore, run a special feature on places in Singapore, which Singaporeans have fond memories of.

One of the special places in my heart would have to be the Singapore River. Two fridays ago, the department held its corporate retreat at Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel, which is located next to the Singapore River. To avoid the heavy congestion during the peak morning rush hour, I decided to leave my house early. To my delight, the traffic was very smooth at 7.00 am.
I reached the hotel before 7.30 am (I even managed to avoid paying any ERP, electronic road pricing - a form of road toll unique to Singapore, as well as the CBD charges). With the retreat starting at 9.00 am, I had 1.5 hours to stroll leisurely along the Singapore River and take some photos. Walking around Clark Quay in the early morning and looking at the debris from last night, I can imagine how sleazy this area (which used to be a quaint place with the restored shophouses) can be at night.
photo: the early bee catches the nectar, S'pore River
The highlight of the morning stroll is at a spot next to a small pedestrian bridge, just behind Liang Court. Although insignificant to most people who crosses the bridge daily, it holds a very special place in our hearts. On this very spot, way back on 1 April 1990, I asked a sweet young lady whom I have been dating for several months, to become my steady girlfriend.
.
Reminiscing those moments, I managed to snap a very interesting photo of two bumboats. Parked along side each other and held together by a rope, the two bumboats rocked and kept bumping into each other as and when the water body is disturbed (by passing boats). What is more interesting is that despite all the bumpings, the two boats never drifted apart - due to the rope which holds them together.

Sharing the photo with my wife later, I told her that this picture is a good reflection of our relationship. Although the water may not be calm always, we are still a couple. And the rope that holds us together symbolises the commitment, respect and love we have for each other and for God. The verse in our wedding card invitation reads, "Beloved, let us love one another for love is of God." - 1 John 4:7

photo: a picture I painted for her
The wordings below the painting, which I must have copied from somewhere, read:
.
Add love,
and it is marvelous
what a couple can do.
I love you for who you are in yourself;
As god's special gift for me,
As meant to be in his purpose, and
For all you can be within my
caring love.

No comments: